FAQs: When Your Credit Report Says You Are Deceased

What is a deceased indicator?

A deceased indicator refers to a notation on your credit report that designates you as dead. All three of the major credit bureaus—Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion can include a deceased indicator on their credit reports.

Sometimes, credit bureaus mistakenly place a deceased indicator on a living person’s credit report. This can be a costly mistake. It can prevent you from securing a loan like a mortgage or a car note, opening a bank account, or even renting an apartment. In some cases, credit card companies may even revoke your credit cards, and insurers may cancel your insurance policies. If your credit report contains an incorrect deceased indicator, it’s critical to correct the error right away—your financial future depends on it. 


Why is only one of the major credit bureaus reporting me as deceased, while others do not?

The three major credit reporting agencies have different procedures for collecting and reporting data. It’s possible that only one or two agencies match your report to someone reported as dead to the Social Security Administration. Also, not all creditors report to every credit bureau. If a lender incorrectly reports you as deceased, they may only contact one bureau and not the others.


How can Boss Law fix the deceased indicator on my credit report?

If your credit report says you’re dead (and you are very much alive), all it takes is one call to Boss Law to get the process started in correcting the deceased indicator on your credit report. Starting with a free, no-obligation consultation, we learn about your incorrect credit report and how it’s affected you. After gathering all relevant documentation, we contact the credit bureaus, your creditors, and any other involved party, so the incorrect deceased indicator on your credit report is efficiently removed and you get the compensation you deserve, if applicable. We stay in touch with you every step of the way, providing progress updates so that you always know the status of your case.


Am I entitled to compensation for my case?

While every incorrect deceased indicator situation is different, there’s one thing they all have in common—the error can have a devastating impact on your finances. In some cases, you may be entitled to financial compensation for the error, especially if you’ve been denied an apartment, job, loan, mortgage, or any other benefits. The team at Boss Law has resolved many cases involving incorrect deceased credit reports, many for significant sums. Reach out for a free initial consultation to start the process.


Why is there an “X” in the “account status” portion of my credit report?

If your credit report contains an “X” in the “account status” field, it could be considered a deceased indicator by the credit bureaus. The experienced credit dispute attorneys at Boss Law are ready to collect all relevant information, contact the credit bureaus, and sort out who’s making the incorrect report, so you can protect your financial future.


Is my identity stolen if my credit report contains an incorrect deceased indicator?

In some cases, a person may be trying to commit fraud if you spot a deceased indicator on your credit report. An incorrect deceased indicator is sometimes the result of a fraudulent claim for social security benefits. Many times, though, the problem is caused by errors by credit bureaus and creditors. Contact Boss Law right away—we’ll determine the source of the error, and take effective steps to solve the problem once and for all.


Fix an Incorrect Deceased Indicator on Your Credit Report

If your credit report says you are deceased, your financial future depends on getting the error corrected right away. The experienced credit dispute attorneys at Boss Law are standing by to help. We’ll contact the credit bureaus and track down the source of the error, all while determining whether you’re entitled to compensation for your troubles. Correct this critical error and protect your financial future by scheduling your free consultation. Call us at (727) 877-3188 today!