How to Fix the Deceased Indicator on Your Credit Report

How to fix deceased indicator on your credit report

You’ve spent years building great credit and monitoring your score, so why aren’t you qualifying for a loan? You might be mistakenly reported as deceased by the major credit bureaus. This strange yet common problem negatively affects many Americans every year, and it can keep you from getting a car loan, obtaining a mortgage, opening a new line of credit, and more. Luckily, it’s easy to get the problem taken care of when you work with the right law firm. Here’s what you need to know about fixing the deceased indicator on your credit report.


Why Is There a Deceased Indicator on My Credit Report?

A deceased indicator is a special code that the major credit bureaus—Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion—use to mark the consumer as dead. If you’ve run a credit check and discovered you have a deceased indicator, it means one of the three national credit reporting companies received this information from one of your past or current accounts.

The credit bureaus don’t need official proof of a person’s death to mark them as deceased—they only need some erroneous information. That means a small loan you took out in college can have a big impact on your ability to secure credit in the future, no matter if you paid it off on time.


Why Should You Fix the Deceased Indicator on Your Credit Report?

Your credit report needs to be accurate since it’s a critical tool in determining your ability to open a new credit card, obtain a loan, and more. An incorrect credit report could leave you scrambling to find the cash you need to buy a car or home, and it can even cause problems with jobs that require a background check.

Being reported as deceased on your credit report can also lower your score. Without fixing the error, you might not even be able to rent a house or apartment. You need to get the issue resolved as soon as possible.


How Can I Fix the Deceased Indicator on My Credit Report?

Disputing an erroneous death on a credit report can be a hassle. First, you have to dispute the error with each credit bureau, either on the phone or on the web. You also have to contact the account that made the erroneous claim in the first place. Keep in mind each bureau has a unique process for disputing an error, so you’ll need to follow their instructions carefully.

Many people find it easier to work with an experienced attorney who understands how to dispute errors on credit reports. Rather than worrying about missing deadlines or fulfilling important requirements, leave it up to your attorney and enjoy an error-free credit report, without the hassle.


Fix Your Credit Report Today With the Help of Boss Law

It can be challenging to get the deceased indicator corrected on your credit report, but you don’t have to do it alone. The attorneys at Boss Law are standing by to help. We’ll deal with the credit bureaus for you, so you don’t have to, ensuring every step of the process is completed correctly. Contact us today at (727) 877-3188 to get started!

Leave A Comment