How Much Can I Sue for If My Credit Report Is Mixed with Someone Else’s?

How Much Can I Sue for If My Credit Report Is Mixed with Someone Else’s?

Noticing information on your credit report that doesn’t seem right? A mixed file credit report is a nightmare of a problem for consumers, affecting thousands of Americans every year.

If you’ve recently checked your credit report and spotted credit accounts that don’t belong to you, you’re likely dealing with a mixed file error, and fixing it quickly is critical when it comes to protecting your credit and your financial future. In some cases, consumers affected by mixed file errors are entitled to financial compensation for damages. Here’s what you need to know.


What Is a Mixed File Error?

A mixed file error on your credit report occurs when another person’s information is entered into your report. This mistake happens often due to a shared name, birth date, address, or even a similar Social Security number.

Mixed files are difficult to correct thanks to the automated approach the credit bureaus take for dispute resolution. Investigators at the credit bureaus deal with thousands of reports each day, often outsourcing them to overseas workers who have few options for resolving disputes. The only way to correct a mixed file error is to work directly with a person within each credit bureau. That person must have the authority to remove or change information from a report. For the average consumer, it can be nearly impossible to contact a person with this authority.


What Can You Do to Fix a Mixed File Error on Your Credit Report?

Investigators at the major credit reporting bureaus are overwhelmed with disputes, and they simply don’t have the manpower to deal with disputes individually. Often, your only option is to ignore the error—and deal with the damage it does to your credit—or to work with an experienced credit dispute attorney and sue the credit reporting agencies.


How Much Is a Mixed File Error Claim Worth?

Judges are siding with consumers more often. In a famous recent case, an Oregon woman was awarded $18.4 million  when Equifax failed to correct a mixed file error after 13 letters and more than two years of hassle.

While this amount of punitive damages is unusual, you may be entitled to financial compensation when any or all of the major credit bureaus fail to correct an error after you submit a dispute and provide sufficient proof of the error. The amount you’re awarded depends on your situation, so don’t hesitate to reach out to an expert credit dispute attorney to start the process and protect your financial future.


Contact Boss Law to Correct a Mixed File Credit Report Today

It’s never a good thing to have another person’s accounts or information on your credit report. A mixed file error can cause serious financial damage that can last even after the error is fixed. If you believe you have a mixed file credit report, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your damages, and the expert credit dispute attorneys at Boss Law are ready to help. Call us today at (727) 877-3188 for your free consultation.

Leave A Comment