Offering Solutions for Debt Relief in Florida FOR OVER A DECADE

Schedule a Free Consultation
We Have Been Featured In

St. Petersburg Debt Relief Attorney

Your car is one of the most important assets you own. The loss of a vehicle could result in devastating financial consequences, severely impacting your ability to pay your bills and take care of your family. If you are behind on your car payments and are facing the possibility of a repossession, you should immediately contact a St. Petersburg debt relief attorney at Boss Law. We are ready to review your financial situation and go over your options for getting past this difficult situation.

Why Choose Boss Law?

Boss Law provides debt solutions to individuals in St. Petersburg, Vero Beach, and the surrounding areas. There are many reasons to choose our firm for your debt relief needs:

  • More than a decade of legal experience
  • Free initial consultations
  • Our team is recognized by Super Lawyers®
  • We put our clients first

Our goal is to help our clients overcome difficult financial situations in an efficient and timely manner. Are you ready to take the first step toward peace of mind? Call us today to speak with an attorney.

What are Your Rights in a Vehicle Repo?

When you lease or purchase a car, your creditor has the right to repossess the vehicle if you fall behind on payments – and they don’t require the permission of the court to do so. They don’t even have to warn you in advance. While creditors hold most of the rights in vehicle repossession cases, consumers should know that they have some rights as well.

Consumers have the following rights:

  • If you believe you may fall behind on a car payment, contact your creditor as soon as possible. Many creditors will agree to delay your payment due date if they believe that you will be able to pay at a later date.
  • You can reach an agreement with your creditor to modify your original contract. If you do, make sure you get everything in writing and that the agreement is signed by both you and the creditor.
  • Creditors have the legal authority to enter your property and seize your vehicle without prior notification. However, they cannot commit a “breach of peace” in order to do so – meaning that they are prohibited from using threats, force of threats, or breaking into a locked garage in order to take the vehicle. If this happens, you may be entitled to compensation.
  • You do have the right to voluntarily give up your vehicle in exchange for a reduction in creditor’s expenses in taking the vehicle, as well as a reduction in the amount you will owe the creditor.
  • Once your vehicle is repossessed due to auto default, your creditor is required to notify you about what will happen to your car. If the creditor decides to keep the vehicle, you have the right to demand that it be sold instead. You may wish to consider this option if your vehicle is worth more than the amount still owed on the loan. Furthermore, you may have recourse if the creditor attempts to sell the vehicle far below fair market value, or may be able to buy the vehicle back by paying the full amount owed plus expenses.
  • If you are sued by your creditor for a deficiency judgment, you have the right to attend a hearing with an attorney to raise a legal defense. If the creditor committed a “breach of peace” in seizing your vehicle, they may not have the right to collect a deficiency at all.
  • If you believe your car has been wrongfully repossessed, you can file a complaint with the Florida Attorney General’s Office: (866) 9-NO-SCAM.

Call Today to Get Started

If you are behind on payments, the time is now to take action. Call Boss Law today to put an experienced legal team on your side. Your rights are our number one priority, and we are prepared to do what it takes to help you keep your vehicle.

Fill out an online case evaluation form to get started, or call our office at (727) 800-4498.

Discuss Your Options Today

Fill out the form below or give our firm a call today at (727) 800-4498 to speak to a professional who can review your case.